The grants that we donated to ten primary schools in the Bristol, South Gloucester and North Somerset area in 2014 were much appreciated. Just three examples are:
Henbury Court Primary Academy who said the grant enabled them to buy seeds and plants for their colourful enclosed garden which is a haven of peace and tranquillity amid a very large playing field. The children were not there when I visited but the special needs teacher who showed me around said it was an invaluable asset especially for troubled children to relax in.
The Oasis Academy in Hengrove used the money to buy tools such as the new wheelbarrow being put to good use seen here. The gardening club have built raised beds using planks and tyres and it was good to see the children’s enthusiasm as they harvested radishes and lettuces.
I also much enjoyed an afternoon with the gardening club at St Theresa’s RC Primary in Monks Park, Bristol helping them to build their scarecrow. The grant had enabled them to mend their eco greenhouse made of plastic bottles and to buy evergreen plants to adorn their ‘Octopus’s Garden’. The children also proudly showed me their school chickens and the two eggs they had produced that day!
It has been so good to see all this gardening activity and enjoyment in our schools. I would love to hear from any schools who think they might benefit from our support, and also from other organisations or initiatives in our area who are working towards the same end – ie promoting the concept of outdoor learning through the development of gardens in primary schools.
Schools Awarded Grants in the 2014 Academic Year
- Ashton Vale Primary, Avebury Road, Bristol
- Bannerman Road Community Academy and Children’s Centre, Easton, Bristol
- Burrington Primary School, Burrington, North Somerset
- Cheddar Grove Primary, Cheddar Grove, Bristol
- Henbury Court Primary Academy, Henbury, Bristol
- Oasis Academy New Oak, Hengrove, Bristol
- Old Sodbury CofE Primary, Old Sodbury, South Gloucestershire
- St John’s Mead CofE VC Primary, Chipping Sodbury, South Gloucestershire
- St Nicholas’ Chantry CofE VC Primary, Clevedon, North Somerset
- St Theresa’s Catholic Primary, Monks Park, Bristol